unseentides: (Default)
Kathy H ([personal profile] unseentides) wrote2014-06-24 11:33 pm
Entry tags:

[DARROW] June 24th

I worried a lot about Marius after that day, with the arrival of the chair and all of the memories it carried with it. I know it wasn't my burden to bear, but seeing the pain that he felt, the past that he had arrived from, made me care for him all the more. If I were more honest with myself at the time, I might have realised that so much of it reminded me of Tommy. Of caring for Tommy, and the unspeakable ache he carried around inside of himself.

I'd found out we lived close to one another when I'd helped him maneuver the chair up to his apartment. The closeness comforted me, as if one way or another I could be sure of him, secure in the knowledge he was close, but without intruding on his space. We didn't know each other all that well, anyway. But I knew him well enough to know that I liked him, and that's why I found myself at his apartment that day, fist raised to knock on his door. "Marius?" I called as I knocked, thermos in my free hand. "I've made tea, would you care for some?"
pontmercyfriend: (Fool in love)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-24 02:54 pm (UTC)(link)
Marius hasn't seen Kathy since the dreadful day in which he came upon the chair in the park and she helped to settle it in his apartment. Currently, it remains locked away in one of the closets, and Marius tries not to dwell on it overly much. He's a bit more tired recently, oddly since the circus arrived in Darrow. He keeps having nagging thoughts about the barricades, which is making it rather difficult for him to sleep. So he finds himself now contemplating that chair in the closet, and wondering what it, along with his recent dreams, mean for him when he hears a knock and Kathy's voice calling out to him with the offer of tea. He brightens instantly as he makes his way to the front door, pulling it open with a small smile.

"Hello," he says, glad to see her again. He is always glad to see her, he realizes. She has a brightness like Cosette with the way she seems to nurture everyone around her. The thought of tea with her pleases him immensely. "Tea would be lovely, won't you come in?" He moves aside to let her into his apartment.
pontmercyfriend: (The light of the sun)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-27 07:17 pm (UTC)(link)
Marius finds himself especially happy to see Kathy today as he hugs her; perhaps this is why he lingers in their hug, a bit. Perhaps it is just his exhaustion, but her presence helps lift some of his tiredness, makes him feel almost his normal self again. Though they haven't known each other long, she understands more about Marius and what he's been through better than most people. He finds himself more contented, when she's around, a soothing reminder of all the hope in his life.

"Oh, yes, I'll fetch some," he nods, turning and reaching in one of his cabinets to pull down one of his few splurges in Darrow so far, two porcelain cups from a tea set decorated with lavender embellishments on the side. They remind him of what few memories he retains of his mother, and sharing tea with Kathy calls for such special cups. He brings them over and sets them on the small table, careful not to knock them over. "I have some cookies, if you would like any?"
pontmercyfriend: (Musing)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-28 12:43 pm (UTC)(link)
"Good," he says with a grin, moving to pull down a box of still fresh chocolate chip cookies he purchased from the local bakery in his neighborhood and set them on the table next to the cups. He watches Kathy pour the tea, the warm scent of it relaxing him further.

"I've been as well as I can expect," he says, trying to think of what else they might need for tea and biscuits. "A few...bad dreams since finding the chair, but nothing as bad as finding the chair itself." Confiding in Kathy just comes naturally to Marius; her sturdy presence and calming demeanor always inspires him to be more open with himself.

"You've had your own reminder of home too?" He asks, concerned by what that might possibly be. The way she admits to being rattled by it assures Marius that said object is similar to his chair.
pontmercyfriend: (All the little lights)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-28 12:58 pm (UTC)(link)
He watches, fascinated, as she dips her biscuit in her tea. He's never seen anyone eat cookies like that; he winds up following Kathy's lead and dunking his own biscuit into the tea, biting into it and delighting in how wonderful it tastes. He thinks he will always eat his biscuits like this from now on.

"Like a medical procedure?" He asks, sipping from his tea and keeping his gaze focused on Kathy. "Was it a significant operation?" She says that the forms don't mean anything, but Marius suspects the opposite, after she told him about being rattled by them. He finds his hand reaching out and covering hers in support, as if by instinct.
pontmercyfriend: (Marius)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-28 01:14 pm (UTC)(link)
Marius feels something inside of him clench when she admits that someone had permission to...harvest her organs, as though her own life and well-being weren't significant. He finds himself horrified that anyone could think so little about a fellow human being, especially someone as wonderful as Kathy. He squeezes her hand, wanting to let her know she has his support and gratitude in confiding in him.

"So," he begins, "clones are people used for their body parts?" It's a terrible notion, one that shows Marius the awful nature of science. "Pardon, but that isn't right, to think so little of human life. Not at all."
pontmercyfriend: (Self-righteous)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-28 02:26 pm (UTC)(link)
"How could they do such things to fellow human beings and live with themselves?" Marius surprises himself with how utterly outraged he feels, hearing Kathy having to endure such circumstances because someone decided she was only useful as a living medical instrument, until all her parts were used up. "I am so sorry, Kathy, that you had to go through that." He squeezes her hand again, to reassure her.
pontmercyfriend: (Musing)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-06-29 10:41 pm (UTC)(link)
"Still," he murmurs, glancing over at her with worry. "It doesn't make it right." He finds himself grateful for the way she shares the pain of her past with him; as much as it makes his heart ache for her, Marius finds that he feels less vulnerable, less the only one in pain, from all his experiences. He finds himself more in awe of Kathy and her quiet strength.

"I suppose so," he says, thinking of the Thenardiers, and how easily they appeared to live after the death of their children. Yet, in spite of all the horrible truths to human nature, Marius finds it's the goodness in people that makes life worth fighting for, a goodness he sees so clearly in Kathy. "I'm glad you're here, Kathy."
pontmercyfriend: (Marius)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-07-02 12:39 pm (UTC)(link)
He smiles when she says that, heart lightened by her admitting to her gladness for dwelling in the city, especially in the wake of what she recently revealed to him about her life prior to Darrow. Marius finds himself comforted by the fact of Kathy's settling into the city; he finds himself inspired to a quiet strength, to be able to continue on with his own life after his time in Paris and all which he lost there. He drinks his tea, occasionally nibbles on one of the cookies, and stares at her in something akin to wonder.

"You don't have to apologize," he tells her. "I am glad to learn more about you, Kathy. Though it is dreadful what you have been through, it is so nice to know that I'm not alone."
pontmercyfriend: (Daydreaming~)

[personal profile] pontmercyfriend 2014-07-05 11:31 am (UTC)(link)
"Neither are you," he promises her, wanting her to know that as well. Kathy, it seems to him, has spent her life caring so deeply for other people. Something in Marius, some familiar stirring within his heart, wants to assure Kathy that she, too, is cared for, that she doesn't have to bear her burdens alone. As long as they were both in Darrow, Marius wants to be there for her, in any way that he can be.

"And I am glad to have met you too, Kathy," he replies, smiling as he squeezes her hand back.